News Flash Home
The original item was published from 2/4/2020 7:06:58 PM to 3/5/2020 12:00:06 AM.

News Flash

City of Pierre News

Posted on: February 4, 2020

[ARCHIVED] City Rebates Nearly $110,000 to Utility Customers

BRIGHT ENERGY SOLUTIONS LOGO

In 2019, the City of Pierre rebated nearly $110,000 to its utility customers through the City’s Bright Energy Solutions (BES) Program. BES provides utility credits to people and businesses that purchase Energy Star appliances and lighting, electric vehicle chargers, and energy efficient mechanical systems.

More than $42,800 of those rebates went to residential customers; more than $66,800 went to commercial customers.  Collectively, the commercial customers who used the rebate program in 2019 saved enough energy to provide power for one year to 125 average homes in South Dakota.

Brad Palmer, City Utilities Director, says the goal of the program is to contain the need for additional power generation.

“Building out infrastructure for additional generation is very costly. If that infrastructure build out can be contained, it helps keeps the cost of power down,” said Palmer.

“We’re a public power utility -what’s good for our customers is good for us.”

For a complete list of rebate options, rebate forms, and other energy-saving resources, utility users should visit BrightEnergySolutions.com.

The City of Pierre does not generate electricity; it distributes it. About 60% of Pierre’s electric power is hydroelectric power generated by the Oahe Dam and purchased from the Western Area Power Administration. The other 40% is purchased through Missouri River Energy Services (MRES), a not-for-profit whole sale power provider that exclusively serves public power entities.

The Bright Energy Solutions program is offered by a partnership between the City of Pierre and MRES.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in City of Pierre News

Image of Bill Pay Utility Insert

City Launches New Online Payment System

Posted on: January 25, 2023
Rawlins-RGBcolor-horiz

Rawlins Library: February Programming

Posted on: January 23, 2023
Hillsview Welcome Rock

Wise Selected for Hillsview Contract

Posted on: January 18, 2023
Rawlins-RGBcolor-horiz

Rawlins Library January Programming

Posted on: December 29, 2022