The City of Pierre is saddened to learn of the passing of former Mayor and City Commissioner Clint Gregory.
Former Mayor Gregory, aged 89, died Wednesday, February 10, 2016 in Pierre, South Dakota.
Gregory was first elected to the Pierre City Commission in 1963 and served as the street commissioner for more than seven years. He played a key role in a citywide paving and sidewalk development program and many other projects while serving as a city commissioner.
Gregory was elected Mayor of Pierre in 1970. He held the Office of the Mayor for a decade until his retirement from public office in 1980.
During his time in office, Mayor Gregory's Administration;
• Continued and expanded efforts to locate municipal utilities below ground
• Constructed Rawlins Municipal Library
• Completed Steamboat Park in southwest Pierre
• Purchased land and developed Hillsview Golf Course in east Pierre
• Purchased land and developed the Pierre Softball Complex in southeast Pierre
• Constructed Pierre Fire Station #3 in northwest Pierre
"He was a true champion for our city," said Pierre Mayor Laurie Gill. "He and his fellow commissioners had a vision for our city on so many levels. He wasn't afraid of the future, he was excited for it and he worked very hard to make things happen."