How to Avoid Complaints
Since the ACO cannot be on duty all hours of the day, here are a few simple tips pet owners should follow to avoid problems or complaints:
- Dogs love chicken and many food like we do. If you have chicken bones or food particles in your trash, don't place your trash bags at the curb until the morning of trash pickup. Dogs and many other non-domestic animals can smell chicken bones and food particles from a long distance. They will tear into trash bags left at the curb overnight.
- Do not leave your pet in your vehicle during warm weather, even with a window left open. A study by the Animal Protection Institute showed that even moderately warm temperatures outside can quickly lead to deadly temperatures inside a vented vehicle.
- Don't leave your pet outside if you are not home. Dogs will bark for numerous reasons when their owner is not present.
- Enclose open areas, such as the base of a storage shed, decks, outside stairs, or anywhere skunks, rabbits, raccoons, and other non-domestic animals can get into and harbor.
- Pets must be on an attached leash that is controlled by its handler. Do not allow your pet to come into physical contact with a person using a public sidewalk, including the sidewalk at the pet owner's residence.
Return to Administration Division Page