Pierre, SD


When do I have to report a traffic collision?

Pierre city ordinance requires any collision meeting any one element of the following criteria must be investigated by law enforcement. Any collision involving:

  • $50 or more in damage
  • An injury or possible injury
  • A fatality
If drivers are unsure or are in doubt whether the collision needs to be investigated, the police need to be called.

There is a police car parked in the middle of the street with its red lights flashing, but there is no officer present. Can I drive around the police car?

No. While it may seem nothing is going on or wrong, this is an indication that an actual emergency or something dangerous is ahead. For your safety, never drive around a police car parked with its red lights flashing without permission from a law enforcement officer. Your safety depends on this.

Who is at fault when a traffic collision occurs?

Officers do not determine fault. Their primary function is to investigate and determine what happened and to report the actions that caused the collision. Fault, or who is going to pay for damages, is determined by your insurance provider, or a settlement through civil court.

My child is 16 years old and has a restricted permit. Can my child operate a vehicle between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. with their restricted permit?

No. They should contact a driver’s license exam station to apply for a regular driver’s license.

Do I need to have a driver’s license to operate my moped or all-terrain vehicle?

Yes. Any driver operating a moped or ATV that has an engine displacement under 50cc is required to have a driver’s license. Any driver operating a moped or motorcycle with an engine displacement over 50cc is also required to have a motorcycle endorsement on their driver’s license.

Do I have to display license plates on my moped or all-terrain vehicle?

Mopeds or ATVs with an engine displacement under 50cc are not required to have license plates. If you do purchase plates for a moped or ATV that is under 50cc, you are also required to have motor vehicle insurance on the moped as well.

If I am older than 18, do I have to wear a helmet if the passenger riding with me on my motorcycle is under the age of 18?

No. However, a driver age 18 or older cannot operate a motorcycle with any passenger under the age of 18 unless the passenger is wearing an approved helmet.

When and where can I have a warning ticket approved?

Come to the Pierre Police Department. Officers are available to approve warning tickets 24/7. If an officer is not available, the dispatcher may ask you to have a seat in the lobby until an officer is available. Wait times are usually very short.

When and where can I register my bicycle?

Call 605-773-7413 to set an appointment. Bikes are registered at the Pierre Police Department. Don’t forget to bring the bike with you when you register it.

When should I call 911?

You should call 911 if you or someone else is:

  • In immediate danger or a life-threatening situation
  • Reporting a crime-in-progress
  • Reporting a fire
  • In need of an ambulance
If you are unsure if your situation is an emergency, dial 911. If it is not an emergency, you will be directed to call on a non-emergency line.

What if I dial 911 accidentally?

Don’t hang up. Stay on the line and answer the questions asked by the dispatcher. It is our procedure to send an officer anytime someone dials 911.

What will I be asked when I call 911?

You will be asked the following:

  • What is your emergency?
  • What is the location of the emergency?
  • What number you are calling from?
  • What is the problem?
If you don’t know the location of the problem, dispatchers will ask you more questions designed to help identify the location of the call. They also need the number you called from in the event they need to call you back for additional information. The dispatcher needs you to be specific in your answers to their questions so they can send appropriate resources to help you with your situation.

I use TDD / TTY Equipment, can I call 911?

Yes. Dispatch is equipped to receive TDD / TTY calls. TDD / TTY subscribers can also call 605-773-7410 for non-emergency police calls using their TDD / TTY equipped phone.

Where can I obtain road conditions?

Current road conditions can be obtained by calling 511. You can also obtain current road conditions by going to SafeTravel USA’s website.

Who do I call if I think the storm siren nearest my residence is not sounding when it should be?

Call the Pierre Police Department at 605-773-7410, and they will forward your information to the appropriate personnel in charge of the sirens.

Where is the Jail and Juvenile Shelter, and what are their phone numbers?

The Hughes County Regional Jail and Juvenile Shelter are both located at 3100 East Highway 34, directly north of the National Guard Building. Take the paved road going north from the intersection of Wells & Lowell Avenues north to the Jail complex. The number for the Jail is 605-773-7475, and the number for the Juvenile Shelter is 605-773-2290.

Can I get a Pierre Police Department patch for my collection?

The Pierre Police Department receives numerous requests for uniform shoulder patches. Unfortunately, for security reasons, the Pierre Police Department is unable to provide, through sale or trade, its department patch to other agencies or to collectors.