Fire Department Responds to CO Call
The Pierre Fire Department was dispatched to a report of a potential air quality issue inside an office building at approximately 11:08 AM on January 18, 2019. When firefighters arrived at the 100 Block of South Garfield, partial evacuation of the structure was in progress.
Staff that worked in the building were complaining of dizziness, nausea, and a few other symptoms. When firefighters arrived they used a gas meter to check the quality of air. The gas meter reads oxygen levels, carbon monoxide (CO) levels, hydrogen sulfide (H2S) levels, and explosive gases. When firefighters entered the building elevated levels of CO were detected. Firefighters immediately called for a full evacuation of the building.
Firefighters reentered the building and discovered the source of the CO leak to be associated with a boiler located in the mechanical room. The boiler was shut down and the building was vented with fresh air to remove the high levels of CO.
Approximately four staff were affected by the high levels of CO and did need to seek medical attention.
“We always recommend to anyone that has gas burning appliances in their home or commercial buildings to ensure you have a working CO detector,” stated Chief Ian Paul, “Just like a smoke detector, the CO detector will give you early warning of any issues.
Firefighters were on scene for approximately 1.5 hours. Assisting the Fire Department was AMR and State Highway Patrol.