The Pierre Fire Department was dispatched to a report of a structure fire at approximately 9:40 pm April 11, 2018. When firefighters arrived at 310 South Monroe, they noted fire blowing through the roof of the structure.
The lone occupant was home at the time of the fire and was attempting extinguishment with a garden hose. The fire grew too large and forced him to evacuate. The fire department made an aggressive interior attack through the second floor window and was able to contain the fire to the attic and upper floor area.
The upper level of the home suffered major fire and smoke damage and there was water damage throughout the structure. Red Cross provided temporary accommodations for the occupant.
The fire was sparked from an electrical source on the second floor and first started in the attic insulation. The fire is ruled accidental and not suspicious. There were no injuries as a result of the fire.
Firefighters were on scene of the fire for approximately three hours. Other responders on scene included Ft. Pierre Fire, AMR, Red Cross, and law enforcement.