Medical Cannabis Establishments
- The Pierre City Commission approved Medical Cannabis Establishments effective September 24, 2021.
- Allowable hours of operations are 8am to 9pm daily.
- Establishments must meet the controlled access requirements for Ingress and Egress.
- Establishments must be at least 1,000 feet from any public or private school.
- Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Cannot have any violent felony convictions.
- Officers and Board Members cannot have any violent felony convictions.
- Must be in Good Standing with City of Pierre and State of South Dakota.
- Applicants must read all related regulations linked below.
- Application Fee is $5,000.
- Licenses will be issued after a South Dakota license has been issued.
- Building Plans that show Ingress and Egress
- Building Alarm System Plans
- Security Camera Plans
- Property Owner's consent to use property for a cannabis establishment (if applicable) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Verification of Alarm Monitoring Agreement
- Alarm contact list
- SD issued Cannabis Establishment License @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Other Establishment Requirements
Dispensary must control access: may allow entry of identified cardholder or other authorized person; may not allow entry to any age-restricted card holder. Verification must take place at an external window or window located inside an entryway with a locked interior door that prevents access to any area containing cannabis, followed by unlocking the entry door. Visitors are required to wear a badge and be under direct supervision any time they are in an area where cannabis is present.
Co-location of establishments is allowed, but each establishment must have separate means of ingress and egress from any other establishment. The door separating a dispensary from cultivation or product manufacturing activities must remain locked when cardholders are present and signs are required to clearly state that entry is limited to employees and other authorized persons only.
Lighting is required to be sufficient enough for observance to see and cameras to record any activity within ten feet of the perimeter entry point.
Commercial grade locks intended for facilities requiring high levels of physical security are required on all perimeter entry doors. All windows must be in good condition and lockable.
Security cameras are required at each exterior door and gate, at each door separating non-public areas of a dispensary from retail sales areas. Cameras must be sufficient in number to allow the viewing in its entirety of any area where cannabis, cannabis plants, cannabis products, or cannabis waste are cultivated, manufactured, stored, destroyed, or prepared.
Security Camera recording system standards must meet minimum requirements set in ARSD 44:90:04:08, set to record 24 hours a day, except cameras at exterior doors used by patients, and include backup power source for a minimum of 2 hours.
Security Camera footage shall be maintained for a minimum of 90 days.
Establishment must maintain an alarm system in compliance with ARSD 90:44:04:10.
Establishment shall provide agent identification badges to each agent that shall be displayed whenever the agent is on the premises.
Inventory and record keeping system is required. Daily reporting is required.
Establishment must have Security Protocols, Safety Protocols, Operation Manuals and provide Training.
Additional requirements regarding sampling, testing, packaging, labeling, and advertising.