Outdoor Pool Project
In March 2019, the Pierre City Commission approved a plan to replace Pierre’s 90-year-old outdoor pool.
The replacement plan, developed by a volunteer citizen committee, includes a 50-meter multi-purpose pool, a recreational pool, and a lazy river, as well as a variety of water features like slides, a diving tower, a water walk, a children’s water platform, shade structures, and zero depth entry.
The goal is to construct a modern outdoor public pool where families and people of all ages and physical abilities can gather to enjoy swimming, recreation, and outdoor water activities in a safe and friendly environment.
Funding for the new pool utilizes a public/private partnership, with the City of Pierre providing the majority of the initial funding and assuming ongoing operation and maintenance costs. In order to make the new facility a state-of-the-art amenity, a private sector campaign is underway to raise $3 million towards its completion.
In February 2018, Mayor Harding appointed a Municipal Outdoor Pool Committee. The volunteer group was tasked with developing a conceptual design to replace Pierre’s current 90 plus-year-old outdoor pool.
Outdoor Pool Committee members are:
- Becky Burke
- Heather DeBoer
- Rachel Arbach
- Paula Huizenga
- Kelsey McQuistion
- Mike Mueller
- Becky Spoehr
- Paula Weeldreyer
Burbach Aquatics, a pool consulting firm, was hired by the City to facilitate the meetings and serve as a technical expert to the group.
- NEWS RELEASE: Commission Appoints Municipal Outdoor Pool Committee
- NEWS RELEASE: Informational Meetings Set
- NEWS RELEASE: Outdoor Pool Proposal Unveiled
- NEWS RELEASE: Commission Accepts Pool Proposal
- NEWS RELEASE: Capital Campaign Chair Selected for Outdoor Pool Project
- NEWS RELEASE: Outdoor Pool Project: Capital Campaign Kicks Off Sunday
- NEWS RELEASE: Outdoor Pool Open House Planned
- NEWS RELEASE: Commission Gives Additional Boost to Outdoor Pool
- NEWS RELEASE: Outdoor Pool: Phase One Bid
- NEWS RELEASE: Outdoor Pool: City Accepts Earthwork Bid
- NEWS RELEASE: Outdoor Pool Construction Begins: Heavy Truck Traffic Expected
- NEWS RELEASE: City Accepts Pool Bid